You know the feeling. It’s the first spring-like day after a long winter (if you can call it that this past year) and your mind immediately fast-forwards to summer. You’re in a great mood, you’ve broken out your sunnies and you’re feelin’ good. Besides the actual weather, my favorite thing about that first hint o’ spring day is the predictable and often comical actions of the great people of this city. Here are a few of the classics!
1) Sundresses, flip-flops and other assorted resort wear make their ridiculously early appearance. Yes it was warm out today but let’s get real, it was NOT sundress weather. Plus, no one from NYC looks good in a sundress in March. You’re pasty and out of shape from a winter of eating, drinking and laying on the couch for hours at a time watching House-Hunter marathons. You owe to yourself and the rest of the city to AT LEAST wait until mid-April before baring shoulders and thighs. Agreed?
2) The line at Starbucks is extra long because everyone needs an iced coffee or frappucino to celebrate the sunny weather and also, you’ll take any excuse to go outside mid-afternoon and bask in the pre-spring sun. (editors note, I was indeed one of the “I need a frozen beverage” people today. See? Us NYC’ers are sooo predictable!)
3) Sun-worshippers take to social media to express their excitement about the weather. Facebook statuses about summer and tweets about rooftop bars ensue. And don’t forget to instagram a picture of yourself outside “enjoying the fab weather!”
4) Every women in the city needs a pedicure immediately. Nail salons become THE after-work destination for every respectable NYC lady (unless of course you’ve found one of the coveted early-opening outdoor cafes which brings me to number 5…)
5) Random folding chairs and laughably small tables suddenly appear on the sidewalk outside of every establishment that can clear a few feet of “outdoor space.” Even the local deli or coffee shop joins in on the action throwing a few haphazard chairs on the sidewalk. Some places even go so far as to advertise, “yes our outdoor terrace is open! Umm newsflash NYC, 7 chairs on the sidewalk amidst a sea of afternoon foot traffic is NOT an outdoor terrace. Visit any New England beach town for more insight into the term “outdoor terrace” and then come talk to me! 🙂
Spring is in the air folks and that means the days of tanning at Central Park can’t be too far away. And we all know how I feel about that…. Happy Spring friends!
One thought on “5 Signs of Spring in NYC…”
I am SO happy you’re blogging again. I miss you my dear Allie. xoxo